The Department of Planning & Environment has recommended to the Independent Planning Commission that a proposal for 650 homes on 100 hectares of land west of Culburra Beach be refused.
Reasons for refusal are:
A The site is unsuitable for the scale of the development proposed
- Is Inconsistent with strategic planning for urban development across the region
- Is inconsistent with population growth projections for Culburra Beach
- Is inconsistent with strategic studies recommending environmental protection for Lake Woolumboola catchment.
- Presents an unacceptable risk to water quality in the Crookhaven River estuary and Lake Woolumboola
- Presents an unacceptable risk to Aboriginal sites of regional significance
B The applicant has been unable to demonstrate the impacts could be effectively mitigated
C The development is not in the public interest.
For more information